Springfield High School
Dress for Success
Springfield High School’s personal appearance and Dress for Success standards reflect the following goals:
• To maintain an environment conducive to academic excellenceby eliminating distractions from the learning environment
• To ensure that students are college and career ready
• To allow for consistent application of guidelines by staff and administration
• Students are to present themselves at school in a manner that is modest, clean and appropriate for learning.
• Clothing and accessories must be free of any messages that suggest sex, drugs, alcohol, tobacco products, violence, racism, discriminatory language, gangs or any other content inconsistent with a positive learning environment as interpreted by staff.
• Dress for Success standards apply on all school days and when students are representing Springfield High School at any school-sponsored event whether on or off campus.
• Bandanas, heavy chains, sharp-pointed jewelry or belts, wallet chains and belts with chains are not to be worn. Sunglasses may not be worn indoors.
• Fashion hair bands are acceptable with the exception of bandanas.
• No blankets; if a blanket is your only coat, please see administration.
• All shirts must have straps and/or sleeves that fully cover undergarments at all times.
• Crop tops, halter tops, bare midriff, spaghetti straps or strapless shirts are not permitted.
• When sitting or standing, the shirt must meet or cover the top of the pants/shorts/skirt at all times.
• Undergarments must not be visible at any time.
• The neckline of shirts must be high enough to cover cleavage.
• Pants and shorts must not sag and underwear must not be visible.
• Skirts should be no shorter than three inches from the top of the knee.
• Shorts must have an inseam of at least 4 inches; this includes athletic shorts.
• Pajama bottoms or boxer shorts are unacceptable.
• Shoes must be worn at school at all times.
• Students who represent the school in voluntary activity may be required to meet additional dress and grooming standards.
To encourage students to Dress for Success, staff and administration will:
• Educate students on Dress for Success standards.
• Designate a point person to help students acquire appropriate clothing.
If the Dress for Success standards cause a financial hardship, please see administration.