Springfield High School
Dress for Success Standards
Springfield High School’s personal appearance and Dress for Success standards reflect the following goals:
- To maintain an environment conducive to academic excellence by eliminating distractions from the learning environment
- To ensure that students are college and career ready
- To allow for consistent application of guidelines by staff and administration
- Students are to present themselves at school in a manner that is modest, clean and appropriate for learning.
- Clothing and accessories must be free of any messages that suggest sex, drugs, alcohol, tobacco products, violence, racism, discriminatory language, gangs or any other content inconsistent with a positive learning environment as interpreted by staff.
- Dress for Success standards apply on all school days and when students are representing Springfield High School at any school-sponsored event whether on or off campus.
- Bandanas, heavy chains, sharp-pointed jewelry or belts, wallet chains and belts with chains are not to be worn. Sunglasses may not be worn indoors.
- Fashion hair bands are acceptable with the exception of bandanas.
- No blankets; if a blanket is your only coat, please see administration
- All shirts must have straps and/or sleeves that fully cover undergarments at all times.
- Crop tops, halter tops, bare midriff, spaghetti straps or strapless shirts are not permitted.
- When sitting or standing, the shirt must meet or cover the top of the pants/shorts/skirt at all times.
- Undergarments must not be visible at any time.
- The neckline of shirts must be high enough to cover cleavage.
- Pants and shorts must not sag and underwear must not be visible.
- Skirts/dresses should be no shorter 6 inches from the top of the knee cap.
- Shorts must have an inseam of at least 3 inches; this includes athletic shorts.
- Pajama bottoms or boxer shorts are unacceptable.
- Shoes must be worn at school at all times
- Students who represent the school in voluntary activity may be required to meet additional dress and grooming standards.
To encourage students to Dress for Success, staff and administration will:
- Educate students on Dress for Success standards.
- Designate a point person to help students acquire appropriate clothing
If the Dress for Success standards cause a financial hardship, please see administration.